Wicca Official Worldwide Community of Pagans Wiccans & Neopagans

Wicca Wiccans Pagans and Free Souls.. live different.. be Neopagan!

I grew up Christian, but I have since chosen to accept Pagan beliefs and worship the goddess as well. There has been quite a debate among my peers and friends that says that I can not be both. What do you think?

Views: 1194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I say yes. I dont know why we must get so technical of the names we use for worshiping "GOD" (used here to describe all faces of God and Goddess.) Why does it matter if we call HIM Jesus or God or Osiris, or Apollo or one of the many other names. Why does it matter if we call HER Goddess, Mary, Diana, Lucina or one of the many other names. Why does it matter if we worship them seperatley and equally or together as one whole "being". It is all the same love, worship, prayers, to the "higher power" Why does it matter what we call it? So many aspects of Christianity comes directly from Pagans, as so many stated before me but its true and its a good point no matter how they try and deny it the fact is still there. And I dont know why there is such a darkness in the minds of come Christians regarding "magic" because prayer is magic, baptisim is a magical transforming ritual not unlike many pagan ones. They use magic and the powers that be in their daily worship but refuse to see it as so. The only problem in blending the two is the fact that in Christianity you are not supposed to recognise and certainly not worship anyone other than the one picture of the male "GOD". They fail to see the many faces of "GOD" and even the "GODDESS" which is an equal part of him is surpressed. Seeing, acknowleding, and worshiping that side of HIM (the GODDESS side) is certainly not allowed and you will have many closed minded Christains reminding you of that, because they refuse to see that God and Goddess are one. Two sides of the same energy. Of course despite what ANYONE says, follow your heart, if it speaks to your soul and rings true, it probably is. You know what is right for you, and only you.
It's kinda weird, because my dad would always remind me that how could God fashion woman perfectly, if the feminine wasn't in Him? How could we say he's the mother to the motherless, if he did not have a feminine side? But then again, if he heard me call God the Goddess, he'd flip. Thanks for your input!
do whatever feels right
i think all religion boils down to the golden rule so harm none
I personally think that Christianity and Paganism have some diametrically opposing theological viewpoints.

That said, I don't have a problem with people trying to blend them together. After all, taking beliefs from one or more groups and bending them to your own purposes has been going on since time immemorial. Every faith has stole something from some other faith.
By its difination of what a Christian is, " the belief that the only way into Heaven is through christ, all other paths are false." I say no, as your pagan beliefs are an alternative to those of the Christian religion. I was caught in a simular delima, but a sermon from a pastor on what is a Christian and what seperates them from all other beliefs. That was when I relized I was no longer a christian, as I do not see everybody else headed for hell but christians.
that is where I get confused. Because I was taught that a Christian meant "Christ-like" or "follower of Christ". I always felt that if the erly Christians could be both Jewish and Christian, why can't I be both Christian and Pagan? I think that the Pastor was being more judgemental. I also feel that to each their own view of the scriptures. It is between you and your deity.
Yes, the most informal definition of Christians is that they are followers of Christ (There is a more formal definition of Christianity based on the theological beliefs that remain common to all the Orthodox, Roman Catholic, & Protestant denominations.).

One of the earliest debates among the followers of Christ was the issue of were they still Jewish. Painting with a very broad brush, they fell into one of two groups. The Jamesian Christians said that Christianity was a new sect within Judaism, whereas the Pauline Christians said it was something completely new & separate from Judaism (The the official compromise was that Jesus created something new by being the fulfillment of the Jewish prophecies - but the Pauline Christians really came away with more.).

The biggest difference between the Christianity & Paganism is that Paganism is essentially polytheistic, where as Christianity is Monotheistic (with a specific rule forbidding the worship of other deities). But as I said in my prior posting, I don't have any objection to people trying to mesh the two together. Just be aware of the doctrinal points you are omitting from each.
I think we often get to hung up in labels, wether you call yourself a Christian, catholic, jew or pegan. Does not mean the same thing to all people. As you notice people see things differently & usually it in context in the way you were brought up in home and church. Some churchs think only their denomination is the correct form of christianity and all other are occults. That's why we have so many different denomination. Don't let a label peg hole you. Nobody has an absolute answer that would be the correct answer to everybody worries. Your relationship between you and the almighty,is just that. It is something between you and him. There are many people who will travel various paths of your life. They will help shape and mold you. Some for good and other not so good. We continue to grow as we travel down the path of life. If you strive to be more christ like in your life. Then these are the fruits of your beliefs. Let me give you a example. I recieved a e-mail from a friend giving a example of the fruits of her beliefs. Please allow me to share it with you.

Breakfast at McDonald's
This is a good story and is true, please read it all the way through until the end! I am a mother of three (ages 14, 12, 3) and have recently completed my college degree. The last class I had to take was Sociology. The teacher was absolutely inspiring with the qualities that I wish every human being had been graced with.. Her last project of the term was called, 'Smile.' The class was asked to go out and smile at three people and document their reactions. I am a very friendly person and always smile at everyone and say hello anyway. So, I thought this would be a piece of cake, literally. Soon after we were assigned the project, my husband, youngest son, and I went out to McDonald's one crisp March morning. It was just our way of sharing special playtime with our son. We were standing in line, waiting to be served, when all of a sudden everyone around us began to back away, and then even my husband did. I did not move an inch... an overwhelming feeling of panic welled up inside of me as I turned to see why they had moved.
As I turned around I smelled a horrible 'dirty body' smell, and there standing behind me were two poor homeless men. As I looked down at the short gentleman, close to me, he was 'smiling' His beautiful sky blue eyes were full of God's Light as he searched for acceptance. He said, 'Good day' as he counted the few coins he had been clutching.. The second man fumbled with his hands as he stood behind his friend. I realized the second man was mentally challenged and the blue-eyed gentleman was his salvation.
I held my tears as I stood there with them. The young lady at the counter asked him what they wanted.
He said, 'Coffee is all Miss' because that was all they could afford.. (If they wanted to sit in the restaurant and warm up, they had to buy something He just wanted to be warm). Then I really felt it - the compulsion was so great I almost reached out and embraced the little man with the blue eyes. That is when I noticed all eyes in the restaurant were set on me, judging my every action. I smiled and asked the young lady behind the counter to give me two more breakfast meals on a separate tray. I then walked around the corner to the table that the men had chosen as a resting spot. I put the tray on the table and laid my hand on the blue-eyed gentleman's cold hand.. He looked up at me, with tears in his eyes, and said, 'Thank you.' I leaned over, began to pat his hand and said, 'I did not do this for you. God is here working through me to give you hope.' I started to cry as I walked away to join my husband and son. When I sat down my husband smiled at me and said, 'That is why God gave you to me, Honey, to give me hope..' We held hands for a moment and at that time, we knew that only because of the Grace that we had been given were we able to give. We are not church goers, but we are believers. That day showed me the pure Light of God's sweet love. I returned to college, on the last evening of class, with this story in hand. I turned in 'my project' and the instructor read it. Then she looked up at me and said, 'Can I share this?' I slowly nodded as she got the attention of the class. She began to read and that is when I knew that we as human beings and being part of God share this need to heal people and to be healed. In my own way I had touched the people at McDonald's, my son, the instructor, and every soul that shared the classroom on the last night I spent as a college student. I graduated with one of the biggest lessons I would ever learn: UNCONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE. Much love and compassion is sent to each and every person who may read this and learn how to
LOVE PEOPLE AND USE THINGS -
NOT LOVE THINGS AND USE PEOPLE.

I believe her action spoke louder than many peoples words of their faith and beliefs. Don't worry about trying to blend the two together. Just walk your belief as if he was walking beside you and don't worry about labels.
Wow what an amazing story. Thank you for such encouraging words. I truly appreciate this.
I think it depends on the Christianity. If you are baptist or protestant or something like that, then no I don't think so. In the Bible it says not to worship false gods and this section of Christianity has long preached there is only one God you may worship and all else is false.

However, Catholic and other denominations that worship saints and angels and that, I believe you can. They worship the Virgin Mary and many saints as well as some angels so why not worship a goddess who no doubt was behind a few of their own saints climb into saintism. (Not sure if that is a word lol)

So I say it depends
i consider myself a pagan because i apprieciate nature and take advantage of what nature has to offer us. I use crystals, work on chakras, and take journeys to sacred places to pray and go on long hiking trips alone to become closer with nature, but I also believe in god, let me rephraze that I believe their is some sort of god, so i believe you can blend the two together, but I think it would be harder to blend the two together if you worship other gods and goddess more than the christian god

RSS

© 2024   Created by Founder.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service