Wicca Official Worldwide Community of Pagans Wiccans & Neopagans

Wicca Wiccans Pagans and Free Souls.. live different.. be Neopagan!

Luca, Cerin, and Stormwind stepped through a door of space back into Silverymoon where Danforth was waiting for them. He was old, but still of solid build and ruggedly handsome with silvering sandy hair, brown eyes that looked more like smoky quartz, and a light brown beard that was well-groomed. …For a ranger, anyway. "What kept you, Onyx?" he asked, with age adding a slight rasp to his usually smooth cello baritone. Luca chuckled with a meek, gentle smile and a glint in his silvered sapphire eyes. "Well, time flies when you aren't being hated or chased out." The elder smirked a little. "Is that so?" He added before his expression grimmed. Luca studied his face for a moment before reading the story in Danforth's eyes. "What happened?" He asked in a respectful tone that restrained his simmering rage. "It's better if you hear it firsthand; brother Cahess wanted to tell you himself and make sure you don't fly off the handle." Luca paled as he stared at Danforth in shocked bewilderment. His teacher usually always talked down to him on days he did well in practice and tolerated the berating when he messed up. This was not the sour, unpersonable hermit he remembered, nor was this an ordinary situation. After a moment or two of letting the elf gawp at him dazedly, Danforth finally ordered, "Pick up your damn jaw and get your disguise on; we're going to Helm's Hold." Luca shook his head to put himself back together, then did as was asked. "Golden star, light afar." he called with a flourish of his left hand that he pulled down over his face and his appearance shifted from Silver Drow, to true Elven. The four of them then started the trek to Helm's Hold in Silverymoon, with Luca's worry and anxiety starting to eat him alive. A half day's journey brought the quartet to the gates of the great Elven city. Before they were questioned by the guards, Luca froze as the sensation of being watched came over him. A dark, gentle voice spoke to his mind. "I've been watching you a while, dark one, but worry not. You differ greatly from the black ones." Luca relaxed his grip on his swords and decided to carry on a conversation. He focused on the voice and answered, "I'll decide if you're a friend or foe when I see you; show yourself or be hunted." A deep chuckle was heard to his right and he spun toward it with his swords drawn and spotted a large black cat slowly walking toward him. Danforth heard Luca's swords and excused himself from the guards to see what the elf was riled over. "You didn't draw your-" He was cut short by the sight of the now faintly striped big cat walking toward them. The veteran ranger tried to dominate the big cat, it growled loud and low. Luca held his hand out to stop his teacher, then walked up to meet the strangely intelligent beast. "Don't expect me to save you if he cops an attitude." Danforth called. Luca smiled back and returned with, "He won't; he was speaking to me a moment ago." After conversing with the tiger, he learned it had no name. "I think Kyanite would suit you best." Luca declared after thinking a moment. The big cat tilted his head and asked, "Why that?" "You remind me of it." The tiger chuffed at Luca and smiled the way cats smile after a quick nod. "Kyanite I am, then." After reluctantly having his new friend wait in the wood, Luca went through the gate and into the city. "What in the name of Cyric were you thinking?!" Danforth hissed while they marched through the streets. Luca sighed through his nose and answered, "Good Veteran, wasn't that exactly how Stormwind chose you? And Cerin chose me?" "Whatever! If she did get nasty with you at first, you still could've handled yourself and the bird can't carry anything bigger than a rabbit. The only cat I've ever seen that can take down an ogre is a Dire Tiger and you never want to press your luck with a wild one. There's something very strange with that cat." "And, he looked at me just like Cerin did; he admired me for some reason." The wolf made an uncertain sound and looked up at her friend. Luca smiled lightly at her and reassured her. "Don't you worry, though; we've been through too much for me to forget about you. I'm also a little apprehensive about Kyanite." They reached the temple in short order and were warmly but grimly welcomed by the Helmites. "Luca, Danforth; be welcome as always in spite of our mourning." The bald, slightly round man was only as tall as Luca and looked him right in the eye. "The black owl dropped a feather on your doorstep; brother Cahess wants to see you alone." Luca felt his chest grow tight and nodded. "Come, Cerin." The cleric looked back and stopped them. "Dear brother, you know the rules; she is not allowed inside the father's chambers." The wolf glared at him as sorrow forced anger into Luca's eyes, tinging them with wisps of garnet. "Cerin follows wherever I tread. If she isn't allowed, neither am I." he snapped. "Artuehr, let 'em go; he has enough trouble without you putting more on his mind." The priest composed himself and nodded to Danforth. "Very well; follow me." Luca calmed himself with a worried sigh and the red that crept into his eyes faded. At that, the Silver Drow and his companion followed brother Artuehr to meet with Father Corbret.

Views: 154

Replies to This Discussion

"Perhaps you should go, too; the sooner you find Silmawen, the sooner we can end this. I will keep your idea under advisement and bring it to the others, but you must still be excommunicated until it becomes clearer. Gods willing, the Helmites will proudly help usher in the era of the Silver Drow, but know you have my friendship and I will help wherever I'm able until then." They smiled gently and hugged each other before parting ways. Luca and Cerin walked as quickly as they dared back into the main hall where Danforth was waiting. "Sure took you long enough, Onyx; what do we do now?" he asked, gruffly. The elf confidently answered, "Divide and conquer; we need to find a wizard with enough power to bring the greatest weakness of the Drow right to them. I need you to go to Ten-Towns and find Threng while I return to the tavern to find a strong wizard to help us." The veteran eyed him quizzically. "So, you're gonna take that cat and the spectre - whatever it is - with you?" The elf shook his head and answered, "Lunabell and Kyanite will be looking for Silmawen while I take Cerin with me to the tavern; less confusion that way. We really must hurry, though." "If you insist." Danforth added, flippantly, making Luca glare at him. "Would you be so nonchalant if your friends or family were at stake? I've taken your bitterness and sarcasm because you chose to train me instead of kill me where I stood. But this is where I draw the line in shrugging off your attitude because I've met other Silver Drow and they're no different from me and just as disparate from the black elves. Furthermore, I've met druids who are more personable than you, so don't tell me that being a ranger is to be alone until death." Danforth took a small step back and crossed his arms in a pensive gesture. He pressed his lips together and gave a quick nod before answering, "I always knew you'd be a little stubborn, but I never wanted to up and beat the living hells out of you until now." Luca leaned back a little in uncertainty and opened his cloak to reveal his twin swords. The elder smirked and chuckled a little. "Put your swords away and walk with me; we can't fight in here, anyway." Luca eyed him warily and flapped his cloak back over his swords, then started after Danforth with Cerin in tow. "Luca, when I first took you on, I never wanted a student; I was a reserve member of the town guard here. I'll tell you the rest later, but I told myself that if my student ever had the stones to tell me off like I did the Captain of the Guard of Silverymoon, I'd pass the mantle on to 'em - man or woman, whatever race they be - like my teacher did to me. I've actually been meaning to retire for some time and I was waiting for you to show me that you could succeed me." If Luca hadn't been so worried, he might have fainted. But he managed to keep walking, even if he had to drag his jaw behind him. Down a trapdoor, and into an underground chamber that was furnished just like a small house.
While looking around, Luca concentrated on his new friend - the black tiger, Kyanite. Dear friend, I am sending someone to you who wishes to help me. Be sure you listen to her well and help her wherever you're able.
After a short while Zuma teleported besides Luca, and waited for the Silver Drow to feel the Zeltorian's presence. Then said, "Do not worry friend, for Zuma has your back, and when a Zeltorian has your back, you have nothing to worry about. Besides, I can change form too." With that Zuma transformed into a 6, 2 Silver Drow with red and friendly eyes that shone with inner secrets and had a depth that could scare a zombie. Zuma turned towards Danforth and said, "I'm sorry if I interrupted your meeting. My name is Zuma Ragnarok, and I am a Chaos Mage, and more obviously, friend of Luca." With that, the irony of Zuma's presence was being noticed by the two Drow with shock.
A voice from somewhere confirmed the request and Luca nodded. After rummaging through a large chest under the bed, Danforth procured a short, slightly curved staff, sprinkled with sapphire dust with a silver cap on the end of the hilt. Luca studied it a while and sensed a gentle hum emanating from the blade. "This sword was given to him by what he called a black-skinned half-elf. Got it as a gift when he saved her from some bad-tempered barbarians. Called it the 'master's water wheel." The elder offered Luca the sword in a gregarious yet reverent gesture. The elf gingerly took hold of it and instantly sensed it's power. He gawped at it and asked, "Why haven't you wielded this?" Danforth sighed and returned, "Because it wouldn't let me. I couldn't unsheathe it for the life of me; Cronuss said that it was because I didn't have the right mindset or some such thing. It rings a little when someone comes along who can do what he did. Never knew what he meant by that." Luca slipped the blade into his belt and… it fit perfectly. Danforth went back into the chest and pulled out an expertly-carved silver maple bow with a silvery string. "This one he made for me; calls it the 'auric force bow' or something like that. It was supposed to train me for Zen Archery, I think, but it didn't work." He handed the bow to Luca, then the string started to glow. Danforth chuckled to himself. "You would've made a better student for him. He would be damn proud of you." Luca looked at him quizzically. "You aren't?" The elder smiled. "No; I am. But, it's more that I admire you; the very things my teacher wanted me to do, you have, and you already proved yourself a worthy successor. There's nothing more I can teach you." Luca beamed at the gifts. "There must be something I could do to at least show my appreciation for these." Danforth shook his head with a whisper of smile. "Just that you use them wisely like my teacher wanted from me." Cerin whimpered and it snapped them out of the trance. "You'd better get moving; you have some names to clear." Luca looked over his shoulder, then nodded solemnly as he turned back to face Danforth. "Will you be coming?" he asked. The elder looked skyward pensively, then back to the elf with a sigh. "No. That was my last act as the Westwood Shield; the mantle is yours now." The elf smiled sadly and extended a hand. "Now, what kind of farewell is that?" Danforth asked, just before lurching forward and wrapping his successor in a bear hug. Luca chuckled and answered, "You never cease to amaze, do you?" "You already have gray hair, so I had to do the next best thing." They released each other and Danforth ended with, "Don't you tarnish the reputation or I'll beat you all over the nine hells." "Keep your gaze toward the stars; I might bring one back for you." Luca returned with a confident half-smile. After he left, Danforth sighed with worry. "Honestly, I'd just be happy if you came back alive." Luca then went back to the wood outside Silverymoon to find Lunabell and Kyanite.
Feeling ignored, Zuma followed Luca and thought, "hopefully he knows I am here, or I'm returning to the Tavern without saying goodbye, farewell, adios, blessed be, etc."
Luca let out a small chuckle. "I liked your other form better; what kept you? I was literally about to head back to the tavern to see if a wizard would come to help."
Luca noticed the other figures, then saw through them as simply apparitions. He looked around before noticing the certain resonance in them. "Kyanite…" he called. The fake Drow faded from view as the black tiger walked up. He chuffed and sat down a few feet from them. "Forgive me, but what did you expect? I see this Draconian come from nowhere and can't begin to discern his intentions." Luca gave a resigned sigh and returned, "Next time, just tell me about it; that's what a team does." The elf was about to address the Draconian when he noticed his own appearance and where they were. "Dark of night, shadow's delight." he said, with a gesture like he was taking off a mask. His skin turned back to charcoal and his hair ashen silver. "Sorry about that; I had just gotten done speaking with my teacher. Have you seen Lunabell at all since you arrived?"
"No, I havent, sorry." With that the Zeltorian transformed back to his original shape and said a with a little evil glint in his eye, "By the way, I am not a draconian, I am a Zeltorian Dragon Man, desended from the Dragons of Zalrok, not a Krynnite abomination that is far more inferior to me or to the rest of my kind." With that The Zeltorian asked, "Where are we going now?"
Luca glanced at the Zeltorian, then looked to Kyanite, who looked between them before rolling his ears back in surprise. "What? You can't still be mad about the Drow illusions, are you?" he asked. Luca chuckled a little and answered, "No; I was about to ask if you happened to see Silmawen or find Lunabell anywhere." The cat's ears perked up. "Oh! Well…the, uh… ghost, is it? No, I haven't seen her, but the other dark elf was headed for a place called Hilltop, wherever that is." Luca thought for a moment, then looked to Zuma. "Your knowledge of the Drow tells you of Drizzt Do'Urden, correct?"
"Drow illusions, then I am sorry about that, Drizzt Do'Urden, was a Hero of the Hall and Friends with a Tribesman, a halfling rogue, a dwarf king, and a human girl, and Drizzt's rival was an assassin with great skill. As for Hilltop, I have not heard of it in my travels thru Faerun, or the other Realms."

Driretlan said:
Luca glanced at the Zeltorian, then looked to Kyanite, who looked between them before rolling his ears back in surprise. "What? You can't still be mad about the Drow illusions, are you?" he asked. Luca chuckled a little and answered, "No; I was about to ask if you happened to see Silmawen or find Lunabell anywhere." The cat's ears perked up. "Oh! Well…the, uh… ghost, is it? No, I haven't seen her, but the other dark elf was headed for a place called Hilltop, wherever that is." Luca thought for a moment, then looked to Zuma. "Your knowledge of the Drow tells you of Drizzt Do'Urden, correct?"
"Hilltop isn't very far away from Ten-Towns, where Drizzt was said to live. If that's true, then we probably have farther to go than I last thought. …Unless you could find Drizzt or someone who traveled with him and take us to where they might be." Luca pensively looked around before something occurred to him. "Where's Cerin?" Just after he mentioned her, the wolf called out to her partner. Luca snapped his gaze to the south and howled back, calling her to join him and the others. An hour or so later, the canine appeared over a hill to the southwest, barreling towards them at a full sprint. This reminded Luca of something: "I hadn't met Silmawen till after Cerin chose me. She can take us to her!" he exclaimed. Kyanite stared at the wolf in wonder. "I saw a bunch of bootprints, but I never smelled her, exactly." Luca jogged up to greet his companion and talked with her a little. She lifted a forepaw, telling the elf that she followed the warrior's tracks. They went to inspect the prints that were left and he noticed something. He looked back at the others and said, "She chased a small pack of gnolls this way. Let's follow them." He signaled the wolf to lead them, then got up and ran after her. The tiger watched then looked back at Zuma. "How would a wolf know to follow footprints?" he asked, then got up and ran after them.
Zuma ran after them but asked, "You know with my magic I could teleport you all to Hilltop, you know?" And then said to Kyanite, "Wolves are excellent trackers Kyanite, or why else do humans have dogs?"

RSS

© 2024   Created by Founder.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service