Wicca Official Worldwide Community of Pagans Wiccans & Neopagans

Wicca Wiccans Pagans and Free Souls.. live different.. be Neopagan!

Luca, Cerin, and Stormwind stepped through a door of space back into Silverymoon where Danforth was waiting for them. He was old, but still of solid build and ruggedly handsome with silvering sandy hair, brown eyes that looked more like smoky quartz, and a light brown beard that was well-groomed. …For a ranger, anyway. "What kept you, Onyx?" he asked, with age adding a slight rasp to his usually smooth cello baritone. Luca chuckled with a meek, gentle smile and a glint in his silvered sapphire eyes. "Well, time flies when you aren't being hated or chased out." The elder smirked a little. "Is that so?" He added before his expression grimmed. Luca studied his face for a moment before reading the story in Danforth's eyes. "What happened?" He asked in a respectful tone that restrained his simmering rage. "It's better if you hear it firsthand; brother Cahess wanted to tell you himself and make sure you don't fly off the handle." Luca paled as he stared at Danforth in shocked bewilderment. His teacher usually always talked down to him on days he did well in practice and tolerated the berating when he messed up. This was not the sour, unpersonable hermit he remembered, nor was this an ordinary situation. After a moment or two of letting the elf gawp at him dazedly, Danforth finally ordered, "Pick up your damn jaw and get your disguise on; we're going to Helm's Hold." Luca shook his head to put himself back together, then did as was asked. "Golden star, light afar." he called with a flourish of his left hand that he pulled down over his face and his appearance shifted from Silver Drow, to true Elven. The four of them then started the trek to Helm's Hold in Silverymoon, with Luca's worry and anxiety starting to eat him alive. A half day's journey brought the quartet to the gates of the great Elven city. Before they were questioned by the guards, Luca froze as the sensation of being watched came over him. A dark, gentle voice spoke to his mind. "I've been watching you a while, dark one, but worry not. You differ greatly from the black ones." Luca relaxed his grip on his swords and decided to carry on a conversation. He focused on the voice and answered, "I'll decide if you're a friend or foe when I see you; show yourself or be hunted." A deep chuckle was heard to his right and he spun toward it with his swords drawn and spotted a large black cat slowly walking toward him. Danforth heard Luca's swords and excused himself from the guards to see what the elf was riled over. "You didn't draw your-" He was cut short by the sight of the now faintly striped big cat walking toward them. The veteran ranger tried to dominate the big cat, it growled loud and low. Luca held his hand out to stop his teacher, then walked up to meet the strangely intelligent beast. "Don't expect me to save you if he cops an attitude." Danforth called. Luca smiled back and returned with, "He won't; he was speaking to me a moment ago." After conversing with the tiger, he learned it had no name. "I think Kyanite would suit you best." Luca declared after thinking a moment. The big cat tilted his head and asked, "Why that?" "You remind me of it." The tiger chuffed at Luca and smiled the way cats smile after a quick nod. "Kyanite I am, then." After reluctantly having his new friend wait in the wood, Luca went through the gate and into the city. "What in the name of Cyric were you thinking?!" Danforth hissed while they marched through the streets. Luca sighed through his nose and answered, "Good Veteran, wasn't that exactly how Stormwind chose you? And Cerin chose me?" "Whatever! If she did get nasty with you at first, you still could've handled yourself and the bird can't carry anything bigger than a rabbit. The only cat I've ever seen that can take down an ogre is a Dire Tiger and you never want to press your luck with a wild one. There's something very strange with that cat." "And, he looked at me just like Cerin did; he admired me for some reason." The wolf made an uncertain sound and looked up at her friend. Luca smiled lightly at her and reassured her. "Don't you worry, though; we've been through too much for me to forget about you. I'm also a little apprehensive about Kyanite." They reached the temple in short order and were warmly but grimly welcomed by the Helmites. "Luca, Danforth; be welcome as always in spite of our mourning." The bald, slightly round man was only as tall as Luca and looked him right in the eye. "The black owl dropped a feather on your doorstep; brother Cahess wants to see you alone." Luca felt his chest grow tight and nodded. "Come, Cerin." The cleric looked back and stopped them. "Dear brother, you know the rules; she is not allowed inside the father's chambers." The wolf glared at him as sorrow forced anger into Luca's eyes, tinging them with wisps of garnet. "Cerin follows wherever I tread. If she isn't allowed, neither am I." he snapped. "Artuehr, let 'em go; he has enough trouble without you putting more on his mind." The priest composed himself and nodded to Danforth. "Very well; follow me." Luca calmed himself with a worried sigh and the red that crept into his eyes faded. At that, the Silver Drow and his companion followed brother Artuehr to meet with Father Corbret.

Views: 154

Replies to This Discussion

Luca shouted back, "But, very rarely do they hunt by sight! Cerin does so quite frequently." Cerin stopped at a small clearing and barked a couple times. Luca caught up to her and knelt in front of the spot that his companion was staring at. Kyanite and Zuma also did a short time later. The ranger dipped a fingertip in a reddish-brown substance on the ground and smelled it. He marveled at it before asking the wolf, "Is this Silmawen's?" She answered with a drop of her chin and a small whimper. Luca started to worry, then sensed something in the woods and smirked a little. He called the tiger to him and Kyanite walked over to where Cerin sat. "You rang?" he asked. The elf answered, "Someone belongs to this blood here; I want you to find them." The big cat tilted his head at Luca. "Cerin is right here and you already mentioned Silmawen; why would you need me?" The wolf looked at him despondently and made a resigned noise. Luca spoke for her. "Cerin is remarkably intelligent and expressive for a wolf, but she is only still a wolf; there's something magical at work here. This may not even be Silmawen's blood." Just then, a sonorous, rustic alto voice called out from somewhere east in the forest. "And, why exactly are you looking for her?" The four of them looked in the direction of the voice and Luca went for his short swords.
Zuma caught up with them using his chaos energies to power his limps, and when Zuma saw Luca's swords out he took out both rune sword and dagger. Then summoned Dufarra, from her stone, just in case there was a fight, because of Dufarra's rune tattooed skin, she was as strong as Cerin and Kyanite, and also as smart as them and would do anything to protect her comrades from harm. "Who are you and what do you want?" Zuma said with fear and with a worried tone in his eyes.
The woman's garnet eyes sparkled a little as she poured out a friendly laugh like a fine red wine. Her skin was black as night and she had the same ashen silver hair as Luca, only longer. "I, scaled one, am Silmawen Gend, whom I've heard you were seeking." She looked at Luca who had sheathed his swords once he recognized her. "Ranger Bittrell…" she drawled out, sultrily. Luca bowed a little with a slight smile. "Glad to see you again, commander." She let a sigh through her nose and smirked at him. "Luca, there's no need to address me by my title; I don't even like it when people do that." She looked at the two besides the ranger and his companion, then back at Luca to ask, "Who are these two?" The ranger smiled and went about the introductions. "The dragon man is Zuma Ragnarok, whom I met in a tavern I'll have to bring you to sometime. The tiger didn't really have a name, so I called him Kyanite." The warrioress narrowed her eyes at the cat and returned, "I can see why." She then addressed Zuma. "What brings you to Faerûn, Zuma? I hope it isn't just me." The last word flowing with a small chuckle.
Zuma bowed low and sheathed his weapons to Silmawen in Zeltorian fashion, "No, I am here for more pressing business, to protect and help my friend Luca and find our spirit friend from the Tavern." Zuma continued and added, "Also my Lhasa Apso here is my Familiar Dufarra and she is also to help Luca and his companions." Zuma then extended his wings and said, "Do any of you want to use my services and Chaos Leap to Hilltop?"
Silmawen rocked back a little in surprise. "Well, I was in Hilltop, but since you found me, there's no need for that. Nonetheless, matters are more pressing than you may realize. Luca, have you sensed any unnatural movements? Rifts, portals, people disappearing?" Luca and Cerin zeroed in on the fighter just after the last phrase she used. "Yes, as a matter of fact. The tavern I mentioned is where a patron was sort of imploded away, but he came back before any search could be organized. Cerin and I sensed that Lolth was behind it in some way." The woman thought for a minute, then looked at Zuma. "We aren't far from the caves of clan Silvermaul who've agreed to let the Doves take refuge there; we're being blamed for many other disappearances. We can talk more there." She whistled sharply a couple times and three elven assassins came into view; all of them women, as beautiful as the were lethal. Silmawen called out an order in that same sonorous tone, "To the caves, and quickly!" and motioned the four of them to follow.
Zuma, and his Familiar ran with dragonic grace and speed, outrunning the drow, elves, human, and tiger. and waited outside the cave entrance. When they caught up with him he smiled and said, "Tsk, tsk, tsk. Now I thought people from the realms where quick on their feet, guess I was wrong. Oh well nevermind then. Lady Silmawen, after you."

Zuma let her pass and went to walk beside Luca. "Now wasn't that fun, eh Luca?"
Luca chuckled at him. "And, there are places where we know to take our time." Shortly after, a dwarven guard came to them and looked the four over before recognizing Luca. "I heard ye be comin', but I didn't know ye'd have so much comp'ny. Right this way; Krinlo be expectin' ye." he announced. Luca gestured them to follow and they all went after the dwarf into the cave. "Might I ask why Silvermaul agreed to help the Black Doves?" Luca piped up after a while. The dwarf answered, "Way I hear it, the leader, Silmawen, helped us and took on the Stormson, Valgozar. Krinlo remembered her - even though she's Drow, and an odd one, at that. So, he plead to the king on her behalf and the d'scussion between 'em went well." "Ah; I do remember hearing of the fall of Sosiane, but I didn't know that Silmawen ever took on someone that powerful." "Aye; nailed 'im to the wall, she did. Killed one of her own in the process, even." Surprise swept over Luca. "She killed one of the Doves?" The dwarf looked back at Luca, taken aback. "What sorta ale ye been drinkin'? Not one of the Drow who travel with her - Silver Drow or whatever they call 'emselves, but another Drow who had Krinlo captive." Luca chuckled and returned, Oh; there is a distinction between Drow and Silver Drow. Would you keep that clear, please?" "Well, there's no need ta get testy; it's hard ta telle difference 'tween ye sometimes." Luca smiled at the observation. "Not really, if you think about it; Silver Drow need little or no spells to counteract the sun's effects. I was born on the surface and didn't know how it affected other Drow till my parents told me."
Zuma followed the other, admiring the place and noticed the runes on a wall section and began studying them, and signaled the others that he will be along shortly after he was finished.

"simply marvelous runes, I see that they strengthen the rock, making them hard to break, but there overall purpose is unclear to me." He smiled and started working and testing the runes on an unmarked rock right next to him to see what the runes could do...
"Ye better not kill yerself, scales!" the dwarf called back. Luca returned with, "I'm pretty sure he can handle anything magic-related." The dwarf sighed in resignation, as did Kyanite. "Moradin's Beard; the last thing we need 'round here is another damn fool scientist gonna blow things up. Last gnome te come through 'ere 'bout gave us a window in the ceiling and we were clearin' cave-ins fer two weeks after." Luca chuckled at the thought of a gnome working in a room in one of the caves and getting blown across the hall. "I imagine that was quite a sight, though." "Oh, the gnome laughed 'is bleedin' head off, but two of the cave-ins trapped some miners. Praise Moradin, though, they all survived. I'm pretty sure ye never had to clear a wall full 'o boulders, and be thankful fer that; ye'd snap like a twig and throw yer back out. Me knees ain't liked me since the last time." A short while after leaving Zuma behind, Luca, Cerin, Kyanite, and the dwarven guard arrived at the great hall where Silmawen, Krinlo, and his brother Mygeroth were waiting for them. She offered a hand to Luca and greeted all three of them. "You finally made it. Where's Zuma?" she asked. The guard piped up, "Ah, he's mucking around with runes on a bunch 'o plain rocks." Krinlo and Mygeroth looked at each other, then the guard. "Ye better go stop 'im 'fore he caves that entrance in." Krinlo ordered. The dwarf bowed and ran down the corridor the just came from. Luca looked at Kyanite and said, "It'd be faster if you took him." The cat chuffed at Luca and returned, "Do I have to?" "Yes; I'd rather not have to go all the way through the cave to get back out." The tiger grumbled before following the request, sprinting after the dwarf. Luca then smiled to the Silvermaul brothers. "Bright blessings, milords." he brightly greeted. "The pleasure's ours, ranger; yer reputation preceeds ye." Luca took on a puzzled look and turned it toward Silmawen. She smiled back and said, "I managed to find out that you were taught by the Westwood Shield and told the brothers Silvermaul." "Oh. Nonetheless, where are the other Doves?" "Oh, they're around; Krinlo graciously secured a dry part of the mine for us." Mygeroth declared, "We'll start discussin' troubles later; we have marvelous ales and a feast on the way, courtesy of clan Silvermaul and the Black Doves." Luca smiled and answered, "I'm sure Zuma will be happy to hear that. Cerin and I could use some rest, though." Mygeroth nodded and whistled loudly at the door behind him to call a couple dwarf maids in. They were comely, but just as strongly built as the men. Mygeroth whispered something in dwarvish to one of the maids who nodded and waved Luca over. "What do you say to some rest and a great meal after?" he asked the wolf. She answered with an open-mouth smile and followed her companion with the maids.
When the gaurd and Kyanite arrived, Zuma was already finished, satisfied that he figured out the purpose of the runes. He turned toward both of them and said, "There you are now lead the way back to the others." Zuma followed the guard and the tiger swiftly and in a few minutes they arrived. Zuma for a little flare said, "I am Zuma Ragnarok, Prince of Zeltor, Chaos Mage and Weapons Master of the Zeltorian elite. And you fine dwarves?"
The dwarf sighed in relief and resignation. "Next time ye wanna find out about the purpose of a rune, just talk to the clan's wizard, please? Ah rather take ye to lord Brantor in one piece than have ye in pieces. Or, if ye survive a cave-in, I'll personally make sure ye clear it yerself. Some pebble-brained gnome rumbled out cave-ins over two weeks with just one explosion." Kyanite looked at the guard, then at Zuma before adding, "I realize that we just met and I mean no offense by this, but I happen to agree with him." "Prudent of ye to be quick about meeting erryone else and keep his excellency from waiting." Kyanite nodded and signaled the dwarf to climb back on and the three went back to the hall they left Luca and Silmawen.
"Fine let us see His Majesty the King shall we?" With that Zuma continued on with the dwarves in the lead.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Founder.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service